Members of the inaugural Optometry Board of Australia were appointed for three years by the Australian Health Workforce Ministerial Council on 31 August 2009.
Functions of the Board
The functions of the Optometry Board of Australia include:
- registering optometrists and students
- developing standards, codes and guidelines for the optometry profession
- handling notifications, complaints, investigations and disciplinary hearings
- assessing overseas trained practitioners who wish to practise in Australia
- approving accreditation standards and accredited courses of study.
Our functions are supported by Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency (AHPRA). For information about legislation governing our operations see AHPRA's Legislation & Publications.
The Board has appointed committees to advise the Board and to make decisions where the Board has delegated functions under the National Law.
The following committees are internal committees of the Board and are made up National Board members:
- Finance and Risk Committee
- Workforce Advisory Committee
The following committees are made up of both National Board members and others appointed for their expertise as required by the committee:
Contact the Board
Mr Colin Waldron, Chair
Optometry Board of Australia
G.P.O. Box 9958
Melbourne VIC 3001
You can use the online enquiry form to contact the board.
Read Communiqués from the Board.
Meet the Board
Meet the individual Board members.